Chongqing– As of the end of March 23, there was no local infection of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Chongqing with a total of 576 reported confirmed cases-570 discharged patients after recovery and six deaths, according to the Chongqing Municipal Health Commission Tuesday. Apart from that, from 00:00 to 24:00 on Monday, one new imported case from the United State of America was reported. As of Monday, Chongqing had altogether two imported cases now hospitalized for treatment. A total of 23,934 close contacts have been traced, 23,691 medical observations have been lifted, and 243 are still undergoing medical observation.
Tan Shukai, Deputy Director of the Chongqing Municipal Bureau of Civil Affairs, said on Tuesday that categorized measures will carry out and relevant group activities will be suspended as the Tomb-Sweeping Day, which will fall on April 4, draws near. It aims to prevent and control the novel coronavirus by reducing mass gatherings and cross infection during the traditional Chinese festival when people usually pay respects to the deceased.
Suspended group activities include public memorial ceremonies and non-profit burial ceremonies. Storage sites of ash remains and other indoor sites with relatively enclosed space will also be temporarily closed. Starting from Mar.25, all public cemeteries will open for on-site tomb-sweeping services in an orderly manner on the premise of strict implementation of epidemic prevention and control measures and within their carrying capacities. Appointments, a limited quantity of people and differentiated time will be strictly implemented. In addition, diversified tomb-sweeping services will be provided to meet the demands of the public.
There were 332,930 confirmed cases (40,788 new) globally, and 14,510 people (1,727 new) have lost their lives by 10:00 CET March 23, according to the daily COVID-19 situation report released by the World Health Organization (WHO). Three new countries/territories/areas from the African Region , Region of the Americas , and Eastern Mediterranean Region , have reported cases of COVID-19, according to the report.
At the media briefing on COVID-19 on March 23, the WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said, “The pandemic is accelerating.” The acceleration was evidenced by the shorter days for every 100,000 cases, from 67 days for the first reported case to reach the first 100,000 cases, to 11 days for the second 100,000 cases and just 4 days for the third.
The WHO chief called for G20 counties to unite. He said, “Political commitment at the G20 means strong solidarity that can help us to move forward and fight this pandemic in the strongest way possible. The most important task for G20 leaders is solidarity, to act as one, because they have the biggest stake in the world, in all respects.”
The Chinese mainland reported 78 newly confirmed cases of COVID-19 Monday, according to the National Health Commission Tuesday. And 74 of them were imported cases, bringing the total number of its kind to 427. The overall confirmed cases on the mainland had reached 81,171 by the end of Monday, including 4,735 patients who were still being treated, 73,159 patients who had been discharged after recovery, and 3,277 people who died of the disease. By the end of Monday, 356 confirmed cases including four deaths had been reported in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), 25 confirmed cases in the Macao SAR, and 195 in Taiwan including two deaths. A total of 101 patients in Hong Kong, ten in Macao and 29 in Taiwan had been discharged from hospital after recovery.