Chongqing- Starting from 2021, the beginning of the 14th Five-Year Plan period, focus will be placed on implementing the Chongqing Outline for the 14th Five-Year Plan (2021-2025) for National Economic and Social Development and Long-Range Objectives Through the Year 2035, and the Master Plan for Construction of the Chengdu-Chongqing Economic Circle. Investment promotion will be catalyzed on four fronts to help Chongqing build a modern industrial system and fuel its high-quality economic development.
First, six emerging industries of strategic importance are in need of development.
- Next-generation IT, the focus should be on the development of integrated circuits, new displays, new intelligent terminals, advanced sensors, and intelligent instruments, new electronic components, as well as the whole industrial chain of intelligent applications of software and big data.
- New energy and ICV, the focus should go on the development of new energy vehicles, automotive electronics, intelligent driving, power batteries and drive motors, hydrogen-fueled systems, infrastructure systems, and the automobile after-sales market.
- High-end equipment, priority should be given to industrial robots, CNC machine tools, rail transit, power, and new energy equipment, additive manufacturing equipment, etc.
- New materials, the development of advanced non-ferrous alloys, high-end synthetic materials, high-performance fibers and composites, aerogel, graphene, etc should be prioritized.
- Biotechnology, the focus is on biological drugs, chemical raw medicine and agents, medical devices, modern Chinese medicine, innovation platforms, etc.
- Green environmental protection, emphasis is placed on energy-saving and eco-friendly technology and equipment, renewable resources, re-manufacturing, hydrogen energy, and energy storage technology and equipment.
Second, consolidation and upgrades to the five mainstay industries are needed.
- Electronics: More enterprises engaged in developing complete machines like computers and mobile phones and key components should be attracted to Chongqing.
- Automobiles and motorcycles: Emphasis should be placed on the development of mid-to-high-end vehicle models, refitted vehicles, complete electric motorcycles, and key parts of automobiles and motorcycles.
- Equipment manufacturing: The development of general machinery, elevators, construction machinery, and basic parts of equipment should be valued.
- Consumer goods Specialty foods, specialty textiles, beauty products, eco-friendly packaging products, and emerging consumer products should be given priority.
- Raw materials: Importance should be placed on the development of green building materials, electronic chemicals, and new coatings.
Third, technological innovation capability should be enhanced. Based on the Western (Chongqing) Science City and Liangjiang Collaborative Innovation Zone, Chongqing should strive for the settlement of national key laboratories and large scientific devices to attract investment. Efforts to introduce well-known universities and first-class research institutes at home and abroad should be redoubled, as well as to foster innovative enterprises and high-level innovative talent, and develop promising industries like aerospace, genetic technology, future materials, and optoelectronics.
Fourth, modern services and modern mountain characteristics, and high-efficiency agriculture should be developed. Among them, in the aspect of modern services, the focus is on the development of financial services, modern logistics, software information, cultural tourism, health services, and professional services. As for modern agriculture, the importance is attached to the modern seed industry, facility agriculture, as well as planting, cultivation, and processing of agricultural products like specialty grains and oils, specialty plants and fruits, ecological livestock, and condiments, in an effort to advance the integrated development of primary, secondary and tertiary industries.
These are the four major areas and some subdivisions that should receive focus in this year and during the 14th Five-Year Plan period. Domestic and foreign enterprises, platforms, and talent are sincerely invited to invest in Chongqing.
The Tenth Plenary Session of the Fifth Communist Party of China Chongqing Municipal Committee has set the tasks and targets for the technological innovation of Chongqing. The Master Plan for the Construction of the Chengdu-Chongqing Economic Circle has also proposed to “make Chengdu-Chongqing Region an important economic center, a technological innovation center, a pacesetter for reform and opening-up, and a highly livable place with national influence”. In order to achieve these goals, the focus of this year’s investment promotion will be on the following seven aspects:
Based on the Western (Chongqing) Science City and Liangjiang Collaborative Innovation Zone, we will unite efforts from all parts of the city to strengthen technological innovation.
Linkage is needed with national ministries and commissions to secure national resources, such as the settlement of large scientific devices, innovation centers, and national laboratories. To this end, Chongqing will strive for projects to be included in the special programs of the 14th Five-Year Plan.
The focus will be placed on attracting investment from well-known research institutes and universities in the country. So far, 30-plus universities and 10-plus institutes have established research institutions in Chongqing.
An open competition mechanism will be introduced to select the best candidates to address the prominent issues in the supply chain and industrial chain. For example, the Chongqing Municipal Commission of Economy and Information Technology and Chongqing Science and Technology Bureau has released some key tasks to draw on the wisdom of the masses.
A number of technological enterprises will be fostered as in the seedling project, while incubation bases in Chongqing Urban Area have given birth to plenty of enterprises, including Cloudwalk, a representative unicorn of AI.
The introduction of talent will be sped up, which is a key driver of technological innovation.
A technological innovation ecosystem will be forged, which includes talent services, intellectual property services, and the transfer and transformation of technological achievements. The innovation ecosystem will be perfected through investment promotion to build an enabling environment for technological enterprises.